Keeping in view the enhanced specialized health care needs of the province and the severe shortage of specialists to meet those needs, the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa decided to establish a separate and independent postgraduate Medical institute at Lady Reading Hospital. Peshawar in 1984 with the following objectives:-
- A. To prepare and train postgraduate doctors towards attaining higher postgraduate qualifications enabling them to provide high quality specialist care to the people of the province at district and sub district level.
- B. To establish a provincial center of excellence which could offer the highest quality tertiary health care services to the people of the province.
- C. To promote research in all fields of health in the province.
- Implementation of structured training programs in all teaching hospitals/units in accordance with CPSP and International accrediting agencies’ regulations and shall be observed and evaluated by Department of Medical Education (DME).
- Introduction of workplace based methodologies with feedback (Mini-CEX, DOPS and MSF).
- Establishing Clinical Skills Labs for imparting advanced professional skills according to the international standards.
- Ethical and professional behavior.
- Respect for patients and their families.
- Respect for faculty, peers and sub-ordinate staff.
- Humanism and humility.
- Integrity and trustworthiness.
- Quest for excellence in the field of medicine and research.